Matso's Broome Brewery, Matso's Lunch
Enjoy Lunch for 2 at Matso's Broome Brewery.
Matso’s Broome Brewery brings people together to enjoy Craft Beer, Great Food and Fine Wine. It is the perfect place to unwind and take in the uninterrupted views of Roebuck Bay. Broome's Asian cultural influence allows the chefs to be adventurous and creative offering up delicious renditions of the classic Steak Sandwich, Prawn Salad, Smoked Pork Fillet, Fish & Chips and Angus Sirloin just to name a few. Matso’s is open for lunch from 11:30am – 3pm 7 days a week. Choose from a great range of award winning beers which include Hit The Toad premium lager, Monsoonal Blonde wheat beer, Smokey Bishop dark lager or Matso's famous alcoholic Ginger Beer , all produced on-site by a Master Brewer who has over 16 years brewing experience.
Matso’s Store started life as the Union Bank of Australia Ltd and was built in 1910. It stood in Sheba Lane, which was the centre of the Japanese community in Broome. Among the buildings there were opium dens, brothels and mah-jong palaces. Broome was a very open town, catering for the varied needs of hardworking divers throughout the region. During 1942 the Union Bank branch in Broome found itself trading unprofitably and caught in a rationalization of the banking industry. As a consequence the Union Bank was absorbed into the ANZ group. In the late 1940s, a fire, which was thought to have been intentionally lit, devastated Sheba Lane. Amid the destruction Matso’s Store remained unharmed and remained operating. The building was sold and found new premises in Carnarvon Street. Matso’s Store was then relocated to the corner of Anne and Walcott Streets and became known as the Number 2 Store, a name many locals still recall. When the building became surplus to the requirements of Streeter and Male, the building was transformed into a general store by the Matsumoto family and renamed Matso’s Store a name which it endures today. Matso’s Store was eventually purchased by Lord McAlpine and once again moved to where it stands today on Hamersley Street.